As the Fall TV season kicks off, several TV industry insiders provide a round-table discussion concerning how the TV landscape has changed over the past year. The event was hosted by MLB Advanced Media. Here are some highlights:
- Video On Demand is in 60% of households and viewership has grown 40% in the past year.
- Binge Viewing is an absolute phenomena, we have entered the golden age of serialized dramas.
- DVR versus VOD: This topic was a big focus of the video. VOD is the preferred technology for monetizing, DVR gives viewers control over the box, which makes it harder to monetize. DVR puts immense pressure on the eco-system, because consumers are capable of zapping through advertising. Healthy advertising revenue stream is a critical component. The way to achieve is through robust on-demand offering.
- Multiscreen is also changing the landscape, viewers want to consumer their TV content through mobile devices at any location, at any time convenient with their schedule. Video on demand and DVR technology offers that.
- VOD has been around for a decade, but TV Everywhere is the shiny new toy getting all the attention.
For more perspective visit this article at the Black Arrow website, and/or watch the full video below.